Bhubaneshwar, the capital city of Orissa
Few lines on the city of Bhubaneshwar
Bhubaneswar is the capital city of Orissa. This city is well liked for its ancient architecture and historical background. According to experts, this history of this city is dated back to 2000years. From a long time, this city is considered as one of the major attraction for the pilgrims, for housing the pious shrines of Buddhists and Hindus. Apart from these temples, the major pilgrim mage site is 55mtr high Lingaraja temple. This temple is famous for its unmarred architecture. From the historical perspective, this city is famous for witnessing the gory battle of Kalinga, during the reigning period of Emperor Asoka.
Important sites to explore in Bhubaneshwar
- Old Town- In this particular region of Bubaneswar town you will find the brilliant examples of Indian architecture. Most of the celebrated temples of Orissa are located here. According to experts, this section of the town has a collection of near about 400 temples of multifarious sizes and shapes. By traveling here, you will come to experience the true definition of the Kalinga architecture.
- Lingraj Temple-This is ancient temple is described as the biggest shrine of this city. This lateritic temple is dedicated to praise Hindu deity Lord Shiva. Inside this kalinga architecture based temple, you will find the 180ft high linga of Lord Shiva. Based on different archaeological evidences, it can be said that, this temple was constructed in 11th century AD.
- Orissa State Museum-This museum was established in 1948. This museum is known for housing the 12th century manuscripts, ancient musical instruments, Bronze, Gold, and silver coins, sculptures, prehistoric materials, Patta paintings, exceptional records of epigraphy, stone sculptures, handcrafts, manuscripts written on palm leaves and more rare collections of various primordial objects. After traveling in this museum, you will get a clear view of about the past days of Orissa.
- Indira Gandhi park- While getting amazed by the wonderful architecture of the ancient period. Then this beautiful park of the city will give you more comfort to your eyes. The name of this park was originated from the name of Late Mrs. Indira Gandhi, who is also credited as the founder of this park.
- Ram mandir- Among other shrines, this shrine is one of the popular destinations of the pilgrims. In this pious temple, you will find the amazing ochre marble painted images of Lord Rama, Lord Laxman and the consort of Rama, Sita Devi. Apart from these images, you will also find the images of Lord Shiva, lord Hanuman and other Hindu deities.
- Nandankanan Zoo-This wildlife sanctuary is located on the banks of Kanjia Lake. This site is built inside the forest of Chandaka Forest. This site is known for sheltering the wildlife animals like Asiatic Lions, Indian crocodiles, Nilgiri Languars, Different types of reptiles and wide collections of rare species of birds. In this Botanical garden –cum-wildlife sanctuary, you notice a big aquarium for possessing the collections of rare types of fishes.
- Dhauli Giri- Dhuali Giri is that historical location, where the gory battle of Kalinga took place. The blood drenched view of the kalinga war transforms the Cruel King Asoka, into a peaceful devotee of Buddhism. This special transformation of mind is now reflecting by the marble white temple of Lord Buddha that was founded in time of King Asoka.
Shopping in Bhubaneshwar
Pipli handworks- This handwork is special feature of Bhubaneswar. You can buy pipli handworks related clothes, accessories, home decors, masks for gifting and self-using purpose.
Planning to go this place via Indian Rail?
Visit www.indianrail.gov.in. / for knowing specific trains going to this place. You may book your train tickets at www.irctc.co.in/
Planning to go this place via Bus?
Do you think, something more is to be added in the above information?
Or, you want to just share some sweet or sour experiences about this place?
Just click here for the same.
The whole AstroDevam team will be thankful to you.
We will try to implement your suggestions, in the best possible manner.
Your experiences will be published on this prestigious website, under your name.
Furthermore, Interesting suggestions and experiences will be rewarded by https://astrodevam.com/
So what are you waiting for?
Note: above information has been provided by https://astrodevam.com/, as a CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) endeavor.